Welcome!

Anyone can leave comments on stories you read, let me know what you like and what you don't, this is a blog for the people. Use your power!

Suggestions?
email me @ beatblathering@gmail.com


Monday, January 24, 2011

And Boom Goes the First Amendment, Again

So as a reaction the shootings in 2007 at Virginia Tech and the recent one in Tuscon, North Carolina's State Board of Community Colleges voted in favor of shutting the open-door admissions policies for the state's community colleges. According to the Charlotte Observer the schools now would be able to refuse admission to students who cause "an articulable, imminent and significant threat."

As of now there is no standard for how the school will determine what constitutes a "threat" worthy of refusing admission to a potential student. The ACLU of North Carolina has already voiced concerns on implementing a policy that for now seems undefined and pretty weak. I'm with them.

The thing about policies like this is they almost always over-reach their goal. I'm fine with kicking out kids who threaten people directly. But what's going to happen is some student is going to write something or blog or say something in class that will be free speech. But it will offend someone. And in this PC world we live in, there will be a big deal made of something that is just free speech. Like if I say "fuck this school" do I get kicked out? Because I'm pretty sure every college undergrad has thought that at least once. It doesn't mean I'm going into my Lit class with an uzi, I'm just pissed off. Gimme a fucking break.



Now okay, maybe the board will come up with good, specific guidelines as to what a "threat" is. But here's what I'm saying, what if say a student makes a threat, and gets removed from the school, but maybe there isn't enough to put that person in jail. So now you have a student who may or may not be crazy, but you just pissed them off even more. So now your potential psychopath has a reason to come in spraying. I mean they already do criminal background checks on students, so what, now they are going to start rejecting people based on what someone might do? And if someone does have some medical issue, try rejecting them on that basis, these schools will be sued out the ass week 2 of trying that shit.

It's just how shit goes, there are crazies everywhere, you can't weed them all out. I mean fuck, it's community college, I think we all know some people attending one of those with a couple screws loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment